All workshops benefit from an “early-discount rate”. The early registration discount of $50 is applicable when NVMS receives your payment information and registration at least 30 days before class.
Note: Government Purchase Orders that require NVMS to invoice the agency are not eligible for the early discount rate.
Confirmation of Registration
An email confirming we have received your registration request form will be sent within 48 business hours from submission.
A reminder email will be sent no later than 3 days before the training and will include directions to our center, training start and end times, and additional course details.
You may re-schedule your registration no less than 10 days in advance without penalty. If you re-schedule less than 10 days in advance, a $25 administrative fee will apply.
Student discounts are available with proof of full time enrollment in a college or university.
Prompt arrival and participation throughout the full workshop is expected and supports the quality of the workshops. Please note that late arrival and/or early departure from any workshop will impact issuance of a certificate of completion. For classes required for Virginia State Mediator certification, presence for the full duration of the workshop is required.
Seats will be reserved upon receipt of payment. All payment information must be received no later than 10 days in advance of the training.
NVMS accepts payment in the following forms:
- Must be made in person at our office on 4041 University Drive, Suite 101, Fairfax, VA 22030
- All checks must be made out to Northern Virginia Mediation Service
- Checks must be accompanied by a completed registration form
- Checks will be deposited on receipt, unless otherwise arranged
- In the event of a bounced check, a $15 fee will be added to your balance
- Visa, MasterCard or American Express
- Payment information must be provided upon registration
- Credit card charges will be processed the Thursday after the training concludes
- A PayPal invoice will be emailed to the participant.
- Payment can be made using any major credit card; a PayPal account is NOT required in order to use this service.
- The invoice must be settled by the noted due date or no less than 14 calendar days for the registration to be complete.
- Government employees may register with a purchase order
- Purchase orders are billed full tuition rate (no early registration discount)
- Name, address, and contact information of the person to be invoiced must be provided at the same time as course registration
Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
- NVMS must be informed of intent to pay via EFT at the time of registration
Payment for entire programs can be made in full upon registration or on a class by class basis. If payment is made in full at the beginning of the program, participants must provide a remittance point of contact (phone number, email, mailing address) and must use the entire amount paid within a year of the date the payment was made. All other payment policies apply.
Exceptions may be made on a case by case scenario (please contact the office at 703-865-7261).
- NVMS may cancel classes for insufficient registration or inclement weather and will issue you a full refund if payment has been made.
- In the even that NVMS has to cancel training, participants will be informed of this decision as soon as possible and no later than 2 days before the training is scheduled to run.
- If you cancel your registration less than 14 days prior to the training, a non-refundable and non-transferable cancellation fee which will amount to 30% of the regular tuition price will apply. This fee can not be use towards future class registrations.
In the event NVMS is unable to process the payment information as provided, three attempts to collect will be made by NVMS staff – first by phone, second by email, and third by regular mail. If none of the attempts resolve the issue, the case will be turned over to a collection agency.
NVMS will refund the payment for a cancelled training or cancelled registration within 7-10 business days from the date the cancelation was made. At request, NVMS will instead issue a credit that the participant can use towards future NVMS training. Any outstanding credit not used within 6 months will be refunded.
Participants must officially enroll in a certificate program if they wish to pursue one. They may do so up to 3 months in advance of the first training or at any point in time throughout the period they are taking training with NVMS.
Participants are required to complete the certificate programs according to the requirements listed on the date of enrolling in the program. Special arrangements may be made with the approval of the Training Program Manager.
Participants have up to 6 years to complete an NVMS Professional Certificate Program. If more than 6 years have passed, the Training Program Manager reserves the right to require the participant to re-take past training or take additional training as deemed necessary.
Waiving Training Requirements
Virginia State Mediator Certification
Training requirements part of the Virginia State Mediator Certification process must be waived by Mandy Stallings, (804)371-6064, with the Dispute Resolution Service at the Virginia Supreme Court. The NVMS Training Program Manager does not have the authority to waive training requirements for this process.
NVMS Professional Certificates
Participants who wish to waive certain training requirements while going through the NVMS Professional Certificate Programs must submit a portfolio containing the following documents for review:
- A list of courses you wish to waive
- Agendas of past training on the basis of which we should consider waiving the required courses
- A paragraph (no more than 500 words) detailing your experience, past training, other reasons, for which we should consider your request
A $50 fee is incurred for requesting to waive more than one of our program requirements. Participants must allow between 2-3 weeks for the portfolio review.
Letters of recommendation may be required in addition to the contents of your portfolio.
Our classes will be held at our Fairfax Training Center at 4041 University Drive, Suite 101, Fairfax, Virginia. Participants will be notified if classes are to be held at alternate locations.
Request Additional Training Forms
For a new copy of a Certificate of Completion, Professional Certificate, Trainee Evaluation, or forms filled out by mentors while going through the apprenticeship process, a $15 administrative fee will be charged. Please complete the Request for Form application and submit it with your payment.
Replacement of course manuals will be considered on a case by case scenario for past course participants. A $20 administrative fee will apply.