The Northern Virginia Mediation Service (NVMS) offers opportunities for students to perform unpaid, credit-based internships throughout the year.
Interns develop skills in mediation and conflict resolution, communication, client service, administration, case management, training design and delivery, marketing and non-profit management. Interns also have the opportunity to work closely with a dedicated group of staff, mediators, and trainers.
Benefits of an NVMS Internship
- The opportunity to fullfill all requirements for Virginia General District Court State Mediator Certification free of charge
- Certification requirements: 3 day basic mediation training, 4 hour orientationto the Virginia judicial system; 2 observations OR 2 day Mediation Practicum training; 3 co-mediations, 5 hours and 1 written agreement
- 2 additional days of training
- Meet and collaborate with a large community of experienced ADR professionals
2014 Internship Opportunities
Description: Interns will work with the program manager and trainers to develop and deliver skill-based workshops and support the NVMS training program.
- Plan NVMS Monday Night Forum presentations and other outreach/educational events
- Conduct market research regarding new outlets for advertising the program
- Develop print and website-based promotional materials for NVMS training services and training center rental
- Collect Customer testimonials, enhance public relationships and customer follow-up
- Answer client questions about training workshops and mediation certification
- Support the program by managing daily tasks
- Occasional travel may be necessary for public and networking events
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with Adobe Suite, e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks (preferred)
- Experience in managing websites (preferred)
Deadline to apply:
- For Fall 2014: July 31, 2014
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to Izabela Solosi, firstname.lastname@example.org
Description: The Court Mediation Intern will support Court Mediation Program Manager with all aspects of NVMS court mediation programs in Arlington, Fairfax, Falls Church and Loudoun County General District Court. This includes on-site coordination, monthly reporting, database management, and help with special projects. Interns will also assist with NVMS’s Restorative Justice program.
- Coordinate Fairfax Small Claims Court mediations each Friday.
- Manage case files and enter new court mediation cases into Access and VA Supreme Court databases,
- Prepare case paperwork for Fairfax and Arlington courts
- Prepare Mentee Orientation binders as needed
- Assist the Program Manager with monthly court reporting procedures, including preparing invoices to send to the VA Supreme Court
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Familiarity with the workings of the Virginia Court System (preferred)
- Interest in Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Ability to work independently, self-manage, and complete tasks within deadlines
- Positive attitude and flexibility
Deadline to apply:
- For Summer 2014: April 11, 2014
- For Fall: July 25, 2014
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to Sherri Smith, email@example.com
Description: NVMS and the Elder Decision Making Program are looking for a student volunteer to coordinate the planning, filming and production of a video to be used for training and education purposes.
The volunteer will produce a video that films actors engaging in difficult discussion around aging issues. The film will capture conversations gone wrong and conversations that utilize the techniques taught by our trainers and coaches to highlight the positive impact that the skills will have on discussions.
Coordinate studio space for filming
- Organize student and other volunteer actors
- Work with the trainers and coaches on content preparation and organization
- Direct the filming
- Coordinate the editing and production of the final video clips
Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Experience in Videography
- Coordinating and networking skills
Deadline to apply:
Summer 2014: April 11, 2014
How to Apply: Submit cover letter and resume to Perrin Scanlon, firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Positions are "open until filled": Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and positions may be filled before the application deadline based on organizational needs.